Re: Unidentified subject!

Mathieu

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:30:41AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :
>
> And do you really think that every software (of your wide definition)
> you can have on computer is part of the Operating System? The goal of
> Debian is to provide an Operating System, isn't it?

The Social Contract is about producing the "Debian system" and other
works that provide a useful platform for our users.  The Operating
System is just part of that work.

> Apparently it's clear that Debian do not consider that his very own
> logo must be free software -- that's right, you do not need a logo at
> all to have a complete free operating system.
> If Debian already recognize that non-program software can be non-free
> without that being a problem, why refusing to include a documentation
> that include a non-program software (technical documentation is
> likely program)?

True, recent e-mails show that this is/was a problem.  One that is being
fixed by making the Debian logo a trademark.

> Maybe because the software that must be included in a Free Software
> Operating System is mostly programs and documentation...

Agreed, but just and OS is a very limited beast.  One needs applications
to make the platform do "real" work.  Thus the Debian system.

> So, you recognize that in fact you want every literary works to be
> DFSG-compliant, software or not.
>
> It totally explains why you need a so broad definition of software.

Yes, wouldn't it be much nicer to live in a world where everything is
free.

> As a matter of fact, you are no longer discussing about an Operating
> System.

At last we agree.

Steve

--