Re: truetype font licensing

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:46:27PM +0400, Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Michael Cardenas <michaelc@lindows.com> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, I only know of two ttf fonts that are explicitly
> > licensed under the gpl: dustismo, from cheapskate fonts, and metatype,
> > from metatype.sourceforge.net.
>
> I'd like to point you at ftp://ftp.gnome.ru/fonts. These are fonts
> that were converted from GPLed URW PostScript fonts with manual
> rehinting done and cyrillic glyphs added.

I've been searching for public domain fonts, and there are several sites
that I've found. Some of them contain non-free fonts as well, but the
public domain ones are clearly marked. These are not all standard
"practical" fonts; some of them are decorative. I think one of these
sites contains fonts under the old BSD license.

http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html
http://maltaesp.hypermart.net/fonts.htm
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/software/nextstep/nextstep.html
http://super.groovy.tripod.com/b1.html
http://www.meirinsurance.co.il/meir_heb.html
	(look under the Windows/PC section)
http://www.1001freefonts.com/fontfiles/afonts4.htm
http://lager.dyndns.org/GnuMICR/download/latest/
	(GPL'd, see README)

--
Brian M. Carlson <karlsson@hal-pc.org> <http://decoy.wox.org/~bmc> 0x560553E7
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?