Re: Linking Nessus with OpenSSL

[ nessus.org addresses not Cc'ed ]

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 07:13:15PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> As well, to keep Nessus free, you should also put in a clause allowing
> anyone else to remove this exemption in their derivative works.

Just FYI...

This isn't solely a matter of keeping Nessus free.  If the copyright
holder takes the position that licensees may *not* remove the
OpenSSL-linking exception, then they are suspending the application of
the GPL to Nessus altogether.  See clauses 6 and 7 of the GPL.

So, essentially, we *must* have the exception if we are to link against
OpenSSL, and apart from that, any exception *must* be able to be
discarded by licensees.

(BTW, thanks for taking the initiative on this, Simon.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If you wish to strive for peace of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    soul, then believe; if you wish to