Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:33:31PM -0400, none wrote:
> My difficulty with this argument is that an owner of the copy of the
> GPL library has a wide right to make a derivative work on the owner's
> computer by virtue of the GPL and/or a more limited right in the U.S.
> by virtue of section 117 of the U.S. Copyright Act. If the end-user is
> licensed how is there infringement, whether direct, contributory or
> vicarious?

Excuse me?

I thought you held the position that writing advertising could potentially
violate the old BSD copyright.  This advertising is NOT a derivative
work of the BSD licensed software.

How can you hold this position and imagine that being a derivative work
somehow must be less restrictive?

--
Raul