Re: want to speed up laptop

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:03:55PM +0530, Naresh Venkateshappa wrote:

> In my case it's as follows:
> When I'm not connected to a LAN and have to wait for the laptop to
> auto-configure the wireless interface the MTA times out for some
> reason after a noticeable delay.

Are you using exim4?  When reading documentation for that last night
I saw the following section:
(in file /usr/share/doc/exim4-config/README.Debian.gz)
2.1.1.10. Keep number of DNS queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand)

   In normal mode of operation Exim does DNS lookups at startup, and when
   receiving or delivering messages. This is for logging purposes and
   allows keeping down the number of hard-coded values in the
   configuration.

   If this system does not have a DNS full service resolver available at
   all times (for example if its Internet access is a dial-up line using
   dial-on-demand), this might have unwanted consequences. For example,
   starting up Exim or running the queue (even with no messages waiting)
   might trigger a costly dial-up-event.

   This option should be selected if this system is using Dial-on-Demand.
   If it has always-on Internet access, this option should be disabled.
If you think this might be related to your problem you can attempt to
reconfigure by running the command

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

Just keep everything the same other than the screen that asks about
the above feature.

Selim T. Erdoğan