suspend2ram doesn't turn off the screen anymore on Thinkpad X31 after lenny upgrade

Hi,

I have just upgraded my Thinkpad X31 from sarge to lenny (to get "real"
control over the backlight, btw), and my precious suspend2ram got broken.

What happens is this:

 1. I "echo mem > /sys/power/state" (i know this is deprecated, but this
 is how it always worked here)
 2. The suspend process goes on normally (the screen turns off, the
 "moon led" flashes, and the laptop goes to sleep)
 3. When the "moon led" goes solid (ie. the laptop is suspended), the
 screen *turns itself on* for some reason
 4. When i resume, everything comes back to normal (X11 and everything
 comes back up)

I suspect the problem is related to ACPI, as I've heard that part of
'testing' is in flux. Also the fact that the screen actually turns
itself *off* while the laptop goes to sleep but really turns itself back
up when the computer is really asleep is a dead giveaway: ACPI *must* be
broken somewhere.

I have tried upgrading Xorg to unstable (of course no effect), upgrading
all the acpi* packages I could find (no effect). Also note that uswsusp
and hibernate do not work on this laptop, last time I checked (ie. in
sarge).

I'd be happy to proceed to whatever required debugging to go through
this problem, as I use this functionality a lot. :)

Thanks for any pointers,

A.

PS: please CC me, i'm not on the list

--
Evil exists to glorify the good. Evil is negative good.
It is a relative term. Evil can be transmuted into good.