Which laptop?

I've been messing with Compaq Armadas (73xx, 78xx, 7400, 7800) quite
some time and haven't been able to get everything to work at one time.
USB is broken under kernels 2.6.x.  PCMCIA tends to not work under
2.4.x and in certain cases (new Ubuntu at least) a Debian 2.4.x kernel
package fails to run X.

So, I'm shopping for slightly more modern, but still modestly priced,
laptop.  Who can comment on Debian on Dell Latitude C600 or similar?
Compaq EVOs?  These are generally available "off lease", sans microsoft
tax, for ~$350.

Willie