Re: xorg tuning on Dell C600

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:42:49PM -0200, Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote:
> pmarc wrote on Dec, 18:
>
> [...]
>
> > As usual, Debian installed smoothly on this machine, and after a
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, everything went just fine.
>
> > However, I am trying to find some more information on how to put X at
> > 96 dpi, which as I recall, some doc on the web mentioned is the proper
> > resolution of the 1024x768 monitor of my C600.
>
> [...]
>
> Knoppix's hardware detection came up with a much better X configuration than
> Debian's. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it solved mine: I
> have an old Fujitsu laptop attached to an external Samsung monitor, on which I
> just couldn't get 1024x768. I overwrote my xorg.conf with Knoppix's
> auto-generated XF86Config-4 file, and, after almost a year of fruitless
> attempts and discussing groups hopping, I had 1024x768 resolution.

Same here; I am rarely able to get the X configuration tools in a
default Debian install to work satisfactorily.

I have 1400x1050 working on my C600 with Sarge netinstall.  I first had
Ubuntu (5.04?) on it and the X configuration went well.  Not so with
the straight Debian (on second thought, it may be testing rather than
Sarge; doesn't Sarge use Xfree and Etch Xorg?).  But I copied the
Ubuntu xorg.conf over from a nfs mounted backup and X now works well.

I wonder how one might get the Knoppix/Ubuntu/etc X configuration tools
installed in straight Debian?

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime  1 day 18 hours 43 minutes