Re: whereami, hibernate & ifconfig

Koen Vermeer wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 11:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Not on my system...  if I "ifconfig eth0 down", it goes down and stays
>> down. ifplugd will start the system beeping at me as it gains and loses
>> link
>> beat, but once the b44 stabilizes, it never runs dhclient again.  I can't
>> tell if it's something be misconfigured in ifplugd or another conflict
>> with the b44 problem or just that by taking the link down physically
>> without changing the ifupdown status ifplugd just refuses to do anything
>> more.
>
> Just for reference, could you give me the list of options that is passed
> to your ifplugd for that interface? In my case, it's '-i eth0 -q -f -u0
> -d2 -I -b'.

-i eth0 -f -u0 -d20 -w

Neither -d value is default (for the program - yours may be the debian
installed default).  I suspect I lengthened mine because of the b44 issues.
I'd be willing to bet that -q option would eliminate the hang I get
sometimes on shutdown.  I'm sure though that I didn't add the -w - that
looks like a recipe for problems.  I think I'm going to purge and reinstall
it, to find the real default settings, then play with the different options
(starting with yours) until I make it work.  Obviously it _does_ work for
you.

>> > ifplugd does that. You can tell
>> > it not to. For more information, see FAQ #3 on the ifplugd site.
>> I'm off to check it...
>
> Back already? :-)

You bet.

> You're right, it also uses mii. You're also wrong, because judging from
> the source, it calls ethtool, mii, wlan and iff, in that order. priv
> apparently isn't used in auto-mode, as far as I can tell.

Source!  That's cheating :-)
--
derek