Re: Wireless monitor

Alexandre Rossi <alexandre.rossi@gmail.com> wrote in news:4RF2t-5E9-15
@gated-at.bofh.it:

>> I'm just looking for a Wireless monitor.
>
> If you're looking for an applet to manage your Wifi connections, I
> know about the following packages :
> - netapplet (GUI, GTK)
> - network-manager (looks like there is no debian package available)
> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/ (GUI, GTK)
> - kwifimanager (GUI, QT)
> - wpasupplicant (command-line daemon) <= my choice
> - waproamd (command line daemon, outdated)
> - iwlist (command line, manual, used by all of the above)
>
> Cheers,

If you've a mind you can just make /etc/network/interfaces into a wifi
manager by adding a few wifi lines, add some scheme support and it all
works.  As an example, if I am heading toward a tmobile hotspot, I simply
do a ifup eth1=tmobile and the script part in the interfaces file handles
all of the dhcp stuff. You can make it do a whole bunch of stuff.  For a
simple quality monitor for a wifi connection, I much prefer wavemon.  It
runs in a console or xterm and it has a lot of detailed information.
Available as a deb package as well.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org