Re: A lot of noise in my sound card...

The package libesd0 is the oss version.  OSS is the sound system from the 2.4 kernels.  However it is being replaced by the ALSA sound system in the 2.6 kernels.  The package for ALSA is libesd-alsa0.  However when I tried that package (on two different laptops) it gave funny noise.  I believe GNOME uses esd as its sound server (correct if I am wrong) then using the alsa version may create that funny noise.  But when in the console, it won't use the sound server, getting rid of the noise.