Netgear wg511, 2.6/Sarge - weird?

Ok, I'm playing with a friends Netgear WG511 card under
Sarge/kernel 2.6.

It seems to be detected by the kernel as prism54 (when
I plug it in I get:

kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:09:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
kernel: ACPI: PIC interrupt 0000:09:00.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
pci.agent[10191]:    prism54: already loaded

The two LEDs on the card do not light.

when I run AirSnort, it doesn't see anything (now, I may not be in range of my
neighbor across the street running a wireless setup, so I may actually be
working - or maybe he's not using the same band, or whatever). (Unfortunately,
I do not have a wireless hub here, I'm just trying to get his card to work
to see if I can do it and prove (to him) that I don't need the silly windows
drivers from Netgear to get the pcmcia card to work (assuming that's
possible ;-))

Has anyone gotten a netgear wg511 with prism54 to work in scan mode
under debian?  If not, I think I'm going to give up and get to looking
for something that works - enough of this 'prove stuff' mode ;-)

(Especially since I'm going to give the card back to him once
I'm done!)

rc