Re: X on Vaio A417M (Radeon Mobility X600)

* Iain Georgeson (i.a.georgeson@dl.ac.uk) disait :
> I'm trying to bring Debian up on a Vaio A417M. I've got the etch base
> installed from a d-i daily, with help from debian-boot (bug #319486).
> I'm now trying to get X up.

I have also an ATI Radeon Mobility X600 on my Asus W3.

> The X (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14) ati driver fails to detect the X600. I can
> drive it with the vesa driver, but obviously, that's not quite what
> I'm looking for.

Indeed, I didn't manage to have XFree86 working with its default drivers
(neither ati not radeon, nor vesa).

> The proprietary ATI doesn't mention this exact chipset. Do you know if
> it is supported? And is there any Free Software way of driving it
> (what state is X.org in Debian)?

I use the proprietary driver from ATI, it works perfectly and comes with
a graphic tool for setting up the hardware properties of the card
(gamma, TV out, VGA...).

On the other hand, the vesa driver of Xorg manage to display something,
but only in 1024x768, not in the real resolution: 1280x768.
ATI also published an xorg driver though.

You can also check this page for more information:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

--

 - Alexis Sukrieh