Compile 2.6.10 in ThinkPad R40

Hi everyone;

I am a beginner on linux, and I choose "DEBIAN SARGE" as distrubition, because between us it's great. But I have a some problemes, I have "ThinkPad R40" but I didn't arrive to compile a "kernel-2.6.10" with all the drivers which are needed. And I have an error : "kernel panic". So if somebody will be able to show me step by step how to make function "DEBIAN SARGE" under my "ThinkPad".

I will be charmed and thank you in advance.