When XDM or KDM loads horizontal/vertical bars flicker

Hi-
About 1 out of every 10 times I start x, it starts as usual with the hourglass indicating the KDM is loading, but then it freezes and horizontal and vertical bars flicker across my screen and then I am forced to reboot but then KDM loads properly upon rebooting. Anyone have any idea why this is? When I used Slackware this never occured. Have I encountered some sort of bug or is there something potentially wrong with a my xfree86 config file? I am using a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Debian 3.1 Sarge and a 2.6.8 kernel. If anyone else is using an Inspiron 1100 and could maybe send me a copy of their config file that would be excellent.
Cheers,
Chris