Re: OSS community interaction (was: Re: *** bluber *** Re: Male xxxxxx enhancement formula^)

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 08:10, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:48:34AM -0700, Ian Greenhoe wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 16:35 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > A C/R system on a mailing list? Please don't even consider it.
> >
> > Other suggestions are welcome.  Please contribute some.  If you have
> > something better that challenge-response, please let us know.
> >
> > BTW, As you are a subscriber, a) you've already gone through a c/r in
> > order to join, and b) it wouldn't effect you anyways -- this is in only
> > in regards to non-subscribers.
>
> Sorry I have no suggestions except to make the list moderated.

Now _that's_ a non-starter.  I've never seen an unmoderated mailing list
become a moderated one.  First, you need someone willing to do the job;
second, you need someone acceptable to everyone else who's already on the
list.  Won't happen.

> I am not
> an expert in email systems but from my reading on C/R it seems the
> experts pooh pooh C/R. By experts I mean the regular posters who offer
> the most help and seem to be knowledeable in email systems. For some
> "discussion" on C/R check out comp.mail.misc archives.

It's unnecessary.  Everybody understands the point.  Nobody likes C/R.  But
Ian's suggestion is only that you subscribe OR do C/R.  Nobody _has_ to do
the challenge/response more than once (in fact, some C/R systems _do_
remember every user who has passed the C/R, so it's possible that no user
would ever need to go through more than one C/R.

> I don't consider the confirmation message to subscribe to this mailing
> list C/R.

To subscribe, you send a request to the list admin interface, it sends you
back a challenge, you send it a response.  It looks exactly like _every_
other C/R system.
--
derek