Re: problem with rebooting

On Friday 27 May 2005 00:24, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Code: 0f b6 9c 36 a1 9e 83 e0 ba ff 00 00 00 d3 e2 d3 e3 0f b6 84
> >  Segmentation fault
> > <6> Journalled Block Device driver loaded
> >  pivot-root: No such file or directory
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > /sbin/init: 431: cannot open dev/console: No such file
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >
> > Any hint?
>
> This mean, ther is a missing "initrd"
> which has normaly /dev/console inside.

Actually not.
The 'pivot root' command just above is the attempt to switch from the
initrd to the regular file system. The "cannot open dev/console" is
almost always caused by the fact that the normal root file system could
not be mounted and thus the _normal_ /dev/ directory not being available.

A common cause for the root file system being unable to mount is missing
driver(s) for the root filesystem in the initrd, but in this case I think
cause of the segmentation fault needs to be looked into.

Cheers,
FJP