Computer freezes frequently. What is wrong?

  astrid> Hello, I recently installed Debian Linux 3.0 rev. 4 (woody)
  astrid> on my Toshiba Satellite A70 Laptop computer, and I am having
  astrid> serious problems with it. The computer freezes frequently,
  astrid> at what appears to be random places. I've had it freeze on
  astrid> me while runnning x-windows, at a command prompt with
  astrid> x-windows not running, at the login and password prompts
  astrid> (x-windows not running), and during boot-up. The only way to
  astrid> recover is to turn the computer off and turn it on again.
  astrid> How do I fix this very annoying problem?

While it is possible that it has something to do with the debian
installation, e.g. maybe the kernel has an option built-in which makes
the computer unhappy, IME, random lock-ups of this type are almost
always a sign of bad memory.

I would highly recommend making a memtest86 boot CD-ROM and running
memtest to see what happens.

If you have access to some memory dimm's trying swapping out memory.

if you have more than 1 dimm, try using one at a time and see if
the behavior changes.

brian