Automatic wireless associating

I was wondering if anyone had a satisfactory way of automatically
associating with known access points. I used to use waproamd but the
author now recommends wpa_supplicant. Has anyone else got this working
well with something like guessnet and the ifupdown system?

Currently if the wireless card is associated guessnet sets up everything
correctly however I am not sure what the best method is to ensure that
wpa_supplicant is run after the wireless pcmcia card is inserted and
before the interfaces is ifupped by something (hotplug?) Also does this
method work at startup?

Any advice/experience with this would be great

Glyn