Re: Installing onto a PPC iBook (clamshell)

Thank you for replying.  I downloaded and installed the sarge (testing)
version online and burned the ISO.  The installation went smoothly and
immediately upon completion the iBook (clamshell) started the xfree86 window
server without problems.  Actually I see the updated installer was able to
configure the settings accurately based on the hardware available.  I spent
some time looking for a statement of such an update in the installer but
didn't find one.  Instead it was trial and error but a great suggestion on
your part.  Again, thank you!

On 10/23/04 10:49 PM, "Ivan Fernandez" <ivan.fernandez@yale.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 02:53:10PM -0400, Alan Ramos wrote:
>>
>>   I've been able to install Debian 3.0 onto my old iBook 300Mhz (clamshell)
>> and I found that I'm having a problem trying to nail down the correct video
>> settings to get the Xwindow server running correctly.  The laptop starts up
>> and the Xserver tries to launch but I get an error and it kicks back to the
>> command line.  I've gotten as far as experimenting with the x86config tool
>> and dpkg-reconfigure xfree86 but my I suspect the horizontal and vertical
>> refresh rates are wrong.  I can't find specs anywhere online that works.
>> This is an 800x600max ati rage mobility 4mb card.  (eh..)  Any help getting
>> my display up and running out there would be appreciated!
>>
> I would strongly recommend you try installing the latest beta for the
> upcoming release.  Mac, being a more homogeneous architecture (in terms
> of the hardware setups that are available), is usually less problematic
> to install than PCs.  With no further PPC experience, I was able to
> install one of those sarge images in an iBook (a more recent model).
> You can get the images here
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> Sorry that is the only advice I can give, but maybe the debian-ppc list
> is a better forum to ask than this one.
>
> Good luck

----
Alan Ramos