Keyspan 19QW on Sony GRX

Hello list,

My hardware is a Sony PCG-GRX690.  I was running Red Hat 9 on this
laptop with some success (for work reasons).  Now I am able to move off
of the RH and back to my first choice of Debian.

Configuration:
Distro: Up to date Debian Sid
Kernel: 2.4.23-1-686 #1 Sun Nov 30 20:51:10 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

My problem is that I must get my Keyspan serial port (USA-19QW) working.
(I have several other questions that I will address one at a time if I
cannot get them myself:)

It looks like the 19QW is beeing seen but no firmware is avialble?  This
19QW has worked on this laptop with the RH distro and its default kernel
so I know it will work here.

Here is the dmesg info as I plug in and unplug the device-
-- connected --
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.1, assigned address 5
usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x6cd/0x118) is not claimed by any active
driver.
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan - (without firmware)
usbserial.c: Keyspan - (without firmware) converter detected
keyspan.c: Required keyspan firmware image (USA19QI) unavailable.
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 1 port adapter
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 2 port adapter
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 4 port adapter
keyspan.c: v1.1.4:Keyspan USB to Serial Converter Driver
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1.1 address 5
-- disconnected --
usbserial.c: Keyspan - (without firmware) converter now disconnected
from ttyUSB0
-- reconnected --
ub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.1, assigned address 6
usbserial.c: Keyspan - (without firmware) converter detected
keyspan.c: Required keyspan firmware image (USA19QI) unavailable.

I found a patch for the 2.4.22 kernel on the Keyspan page, so I tried to
apply this patch to my default Debian 2.4.23 kernel. It gave me errors
so I don't think this is correct.
http://www.keyspan.com/support/linux/files/currentversion/patch/kspatch2003oct02

Thanks for any help.
Bill