Re: laptop_mode doesn't seem to work: kjournald waking up disks frequently

On 15 Jul 2004, Jerome Werner <jerome-werrner@excite.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use laptop_mode to get my disks to stay down to save
> energy in kernel 2.6.7. I used the script from kernel 2.6.7, put it
> in sbin. I also compiled the monitor in laptop_mode.txt too. When I
> run laptop_mode it doesn't seem to help much with the disks. What's
> the problem?
[...]
> How do I get the disks to spin down without kjournald interrupting
> so often?

Your partitions should be remounted by laptop-mode with a considerably
larger commit interval (600 seconds by default). Is this done
correctly on all your journaled file systems in laptop-mode (check
with mount)?

There is a problem with recent versions of util-linux that cause mount
to show a partition type of unknown for the root partition. In this
case, you have to manually remount your root partition because the
laptop-mode script does not recognize the partition type.

--
Philipp Weis          pweis@pweis.com
Freiburg, Germany     http://pweis.com/