Thinkpad R50 Fan control

Hi,
I'm running a Thinkpad R50, Kernel 2.6.5 with acpi turned on.
My Problem is, that the acpi fan control doesn't work.

/proc/acpi/fan/

is empty. On other laptops there is a directory FAN0 with several options like the one in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq.

Few minutes auf booting, the fan turns on and never stops running, even though the CPU-usage is below 1%.

Have I forgotten some general stuff or doesn't this feature work at all on thikpads?

Bye, Alex.