Re: Re: not enable to close X server to install latest n-vidia drivers

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 00:11 +0000, Jed Clampett wrote:
Thanks, I had the EXACT same problem as the person you responded to on
google.
I could not close X in debian to install the Nvidea drivers.

I issued the command you so kindly provided

chvt 1 && /etc/ini.d/gdm stop

That is the correct way to go about it (though I use CTRL+ALT+F1 myself).

Now my system wont boot.
Neither of those commands could result in your system not booting.

If your nvidia install did not work, X was left broken and you boot to a display manager, then you will have problems, but you should end up at the console eventually and be able to revert your changes to X.

Personally I can get the NVIDIA drivers installed fine and use them, hwever on reboot the drivers will not load and I either need to revert to the nv driver or re-install the nvidia driver.  I have not bothered to investigate this further but it is annoying.

Regards,
Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner <tvon@etria.com>