Re: Dell TrueMobile Mini PCI cards for Latitude

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 17:32, François TOURDE wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to buy a Wireless MiniPCI card for my Laptop (Dell
> Latitude C840), working under Debian Sarge (hum... with some Sid too).
>
> Looking at the web, I've found cheaper and faster cards than the Dell
> one. My question is: Can I use any MiniPCI card on my Dell, or no.
>
> Any experience, advice, link, etc. is welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor English.

The C840 should have a MiniPCI slot (look at it's bottom, there is one hatch for memory and one for MiniPCI).

If you choose a Dell TrueMobile card, i would advise you not to buy a TM1180, 1300 or 1400. These are not natively supported by Linux,
because they are Broadcom based. Should you get one of these, you would need the NDISWrapper or Linuxant's DriverLoader to load the
Windows drivers.

The Dell TrueMobile 1150 is Orinoco/Agere based and perfectly supported, but only 802.11b (11 MBit/s).

If you want 802.11g or 802.11a you should go for a Atheros based MiniPCI card (available at http://www.wisp-router.com/index.php?cPath=35_51),
which is supported using the MadWifi driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi)

More usefull links on my Dell Latitude D600 Howto (http://www.marlow.dk/dell_d600)

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
The human race never solves any of its problems.  It merely outlives them.
                -- David Gerrold