Inspiron 2650 X hangs system on log out

X hangs system on log out

Hello

Within the last week I have noticed that whenever I log-out
from kde or
gnome, or run 'shutdown -r (or -h) now' or even try the kill
X by using
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace the screen goes blank and the whole
system appears to
hang.

The trouble is that my Dell Inspiron is in effect a desktop
replacement and
I don't log-out or rebooted for long periods so what ever I
did to make this
happened might have been done some time ago.

System Details (or rather what I think is relavent) -
Dell Inspiron 2650 P4, 32MB GeForce2 Go
Kernel 2.6.3
Debian (testing/unstable),
xserver-xfree86 v4.3.0-7
xserver-common v4.3.0-7
nvidia-glx v1.0.5336-6 (probably earlier when problem
started)
nvidia-kernel-common v1.0.5336-1 (probably earlier when
problem started)
nvidia-kernel-source v1.0.5336-6 (probably earlier when
problem started)

Story so far -
As far as I can tell the problem started as a result of a
standard:

apt-get -u upgrade (Debian testing)

which installed an upgraded version of nvidia-kernel-common
&
nvidia-kernel-source. I think, I made the new nvidia module
and installed it
but did not reboot. Later when I noticed the problem I
upgraded all the
nvidia & xserver bits to unstable in an attempt to solve the
problem but
this did not work.

It would be great if some knowledgeable person could point
me in the right
direction to sort this out

Any useful pointers gratefully received.

James

James Aitken

"Don't worry, everything's getting nicely out of control"
Douglas Adams