Re: Installation instructions for Laptop

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:06:28PM -0500, Eric Pineault wrote:
> If you've found this list then you probably have heard of this site:
> http://tuxmobil.org/
> if not check it out you might find your machine.
>
> I suggest you try a knoppix system (knoppix.org) to check what works and
> what doesn't, work on from there. That's if you want to stay away from a
> commercial distribution, ie debian. If you want to pay try mandrake or Suse
> they are newbie friendly.

I'm sorry, but I have to contradict this recommendation. SuSE is
a bad idea for newbies, because it tends to mess with the system
configuration in /etc and elsewhere all the time, thereby confusing
and frustrating anyone who tries to learn system administration.

> > Hello,
> > I have a HP ZE4560 AMD 1.8GhZ Laptop. I currently have Windows XP on
> > my laptop however I am planning to install Linux on it. Could you
> > suggets as what Versions of Linux are stable and what are the
> > instructions to be followed while installing it. I have been told by
> > many of my friends that installing Linux on laptop is not a good idea
> > as it may make the systems unstable. Is that true

Certainly not in general. I've had three notebooks and helped install
Linux on some more. They all run very stably.

Instability mostly these sources:

    * When Linux is to be installed in addition to Windows, this usually
      requires that the Windows partition is somehow shrinked. If that
      is not done properly, the Windows system may be messed up. (Then,
      if recovery of the Windows system is attempted, this may result
      in screwing up the newly installed Linux system etc.)

    * Some notebooks have very new or "exotic" hardware components, and
      Linux support for these is in some preliminary stage, i.e.
      under development. In these cases, Linux may indeed be unstable,
      due to that specific piece of hardware. In these cases, the system
      usually can be rendered stable by removing the drivers for the
      problematic piece of hardware.

    * Suspending the system using ACPI may, in many cases, not work
      properly.

Regarding Debian, using the testing or unstable distribution may result
in a more stable system (counterintuitively) -- most packages in the
testing distribution are not more "unstable" than their counterparts in
distros other than Debian.

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |