function keys and sound

Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG FRV-26 laptop and have installed debian on it
(kernel 2.4.22). I am in the process of testing all the
functionalities and i notice that i cannot get the function keys to
work. I installed xmms and tried playing an audio cd but there was no
audio output. Can someone give me pointers as to how i could get the
sound and the function keys to work. I have no idea where to start and hence
can't give you any more information apart from the set of modules from
my Xfree866 file. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Aswin

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"