Re: Strange Zip Attatchment

On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:59 am, Adam Aube wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:45 am, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
> > There are all kinds of virus scanners out there and OS's that are not
> > affected by those bugs (hint:debian).
> > I really don't see what the fuss is about.
>
> Even if the local recipient filters out the virus, it still adds load to
> the list server, it still takes space in the archives, and the list is
> still bombarded with stupid "we found a virus in the message you sent"
> messages, which a virus scanner will not block.

There is no way around it - people are stupid and the smartass replies waste
more bandwidth than the actual virus is becoming the norm.

> There is a middle ground here - have non-subscribers reply to a
> confirmation email before their message gets through. Lets
> non-subscribers post without too much difficulty, and keeps most of the
> junk off the list.

For whatever reason debian seems not to be into that and the list servers will
have to live with the load.Frankly - I don't even know if filtering the mails
or just letting them thru and live with the backups consumes more resources.
I just go ahead with whatever the listmaster deems best and get off the list
if I can't handle my end.

Klaus