Re: USB CD burner

On 16 Jul 2003, R. Stepanyan wrote:
> I'd really appreciate any piece of advice concerning usage of usb CD
> burners on Linux.

Sure. Don't do it unless you have a USB 2.0 system and a 480mbps case.
IIRC, that is "high speed" USB, as opposed to "full speed" at 12mbps.

[...]

> Planning to buy such a burner to use on Asus A1 series laptop which
> has only two USB1 ports (so, NO usb2). But, as far as I understand,
> many usb2 devices can emulate 1.1 and, in case of burning (which I am
> going to do at speed ~8) usb 1 is more than enough (am i right?).

No. USB 1 is enough to get an unreliable 4x burn if you don't do much of
anything else on the bus.

Basically, 12mbps is a theoretical rate of around 1 megabyte per second,
and a fair bit less in practice...

    Daniel

--
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else,
that prevents us from living freely and nobly.