Re: 2.4 Kernel Stability

On Monday 30 June 2003 09:49, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need many of the new features in a 2.4 based kernel on my portable.
> However, I like the Stable
> packages, as I have not had any issues, except my own lack of knowledge
> of Debian on a laptop.

Stable is good. :) The latest version of Debian stable is version 3.0r1.

Be carefull not to confuse the version of the Debian distribution with the
version of the kernel. They are entirely seperate things.

Searching for kernel-image packages on

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Reveals that stable in fact contain both 2.2.20, 2.4.16 and 2.4.18 images so
there are a few to choose from.

For your Pentium4 this version might be a good choice:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686.html

If you want alsa you have to download the source, patch it since alsa is not
build into 2.4 kernels and then compile a new image with

make-kpkg kernel-image

Other than that I can see no issues with running kernel 2.4. In fact I would
recommend it.

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.1.2 on Debian GNU/Linux