help xserver-xfree86-dri-mach64

hello,
I was trying to upgrade xfree86 4.1.0 of woody with
xserver-xfree86-dri-mach64 debian package from
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64/ but X11 does not behave as
expected. I no longer get a graphic login, I have to force X after text
console login by "startx". After logout I can see these warnings and errors:

X: warning; /dev/dri has unusual mode (not 755) or is not a directory.
warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested.
XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (DRI mach64 branch) /X Window System
[...]
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-rc4 i686 [ELF]
[...]
modprobe: Can't locate module mach64
[drm] failed to load kernel module "mach64"
[...]
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
waiting for X server to shut down.

Since I have 2.4.18bf24 I suspect my kernel in inadeguate. I would like at
least to go back to my previous xfree86 4.1.0 (I tried to remove xfree86-dri
but I had to stop because debian would remove the entire kde 3.1.1 !). Can
anyone help me please ? I have an ATI Rage Mobility.
--
saluti,  Mauro

On this machine no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.