IBM 760XL video

Ok, the system is installed and working to a certain extent. The video is a jumble of junk, nothing coherent at all. I've tried the Trident, VESA and VGA drivers with and without kernel framebuffer support. I've looked at the linuxlaptop site for this laptop, and it states that Trident support is poor. It has 2 MB of video memory (as far as I can tell) and 64 MB of system memory if I remember correctly. I can get a picture to come up with 8 bit video, I'll try 4 bit or less after I'm done typing here. It only comes up in 320 X 200 mode though, so you can't really see much. As far as I can tell, it's complaining that it doesn't have enough memory for any modes but that, so that's part of the problem. But with 2 MB of VRAM, you would think it has enough.
Anyway, any ideas on how to fix this problem?  Thanks again.
--
Brian Ronk
System Administrator