Re: upgrade the kernel?

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

> Incoming from Tim Harrison:
>> 2.2.20-idepci (is that an appropriate kernel for a laptop?).  Hacked my way
>
> Depends on what you're doing.  2.4.23 is currently most reccomended,
> but (depending on what you're doing, and especially on a laptop) 2.2.x
> may be just as good for you.  Then again, 2.6.0 just went "live"
> yesterday ...

You have no hope of running a 2.6 kernel on stable, I think.  If I was
going to pick a kernel for a stable machine, I'd probably pick a 2.4
kernel (2.4.23 if you're compiling your own, the Debian 2.4.18-1 with
the brk() fix if you want to use a precompiled on).  Upgrading kernels
is relatively painless on Debian, at least.

>> 5) I need to stop drinking liquids now if I plan on sitting through the 3.5
>> hour "Lord of the Rings."

That's very definitely sound advice.  :-)

  "DAY FIFTEEN: Went all the way to the Gap of Rohan only to find there
 is no Gap in Rohan.  Not even a Banana Republic."  [Very Secret Diaries]