Re: Which PCMCIA-WLAN Card

On Monday 08 December 2003 10:18, Conor Fitzpatrick wrote:
> michael@bubi.dnsalias.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for an PCMCIA Wlan Card with 8ß2.11g (54 MBit)
> >
> > I'd like to buy the 3Com 3CRWE154G72, but i can't find, if it is
> > supported (what not necessarily means, it isn't)
>
> I'd be inclined to hold off for the moment: I'm not sure how good
> current linux drivers are for the 802.11g cards, but given the
> non-standardised nature of "g" at the moment, and the flaky
> ndiswrapper style driver porting, I'm sticking with the cheap and
> cheerful, fully compliant and well supported buffalo (orinoco)
> pcmcia 802.11b cards.

What do you mean by "non-standardised?" The IEEE approved 802.11g as a standard in July. ALL of the big-name vendors have since issued firmware updates to make their equipment compliant with that standard.

The problem is NOT with the "nature" of 802.11g. The problem IS with the state of Linux drivers.