Re: hdd spindown + wifi question

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:49:02 -0900
Jon <kreator@peregate.com> wrote:

> 2> I'm feed up with the dwl-650 wifi, because it doesn't really work
> well (yet, I guess), so I looked for another cheap wifi card, and
> found a 'Compaq iPac 802.11b' card for $31 ... Anyone know if this is
> a Prism2 card?  If not is it worth getting, say over a $79 Linksys
> Card?

Not sure about that card, but I have had good luck with cheap cards.  If
you are going the expensive ($79) route, I would suggest you not buy
Linksys.  A friend of mine had a Linksys wireless card.  Nothing wrong
with it, and it worked in linux, but you can do better for the money.
We are both using 200 mW cards from a nearby computer wholesale place.
They have an online store that you can buy from.  I would recommend that
you buy the card without external antenna jacks[1], as it has a much
larger built-in antenna.  Unless you have an external antenna you want
to use you can save a few bucks.  I'm not sure what shipping is like, as
I've always picked things up locally.  Anyway, the card is 66 dolalrs,
but works quite well.  The transmit power and sensitivity are both
noticeably better than the Linksys my friend had, and the Proxim card I
was using.  I wish you luck looking for a cheaper card though.

[1]
http://www.goos.com/cgi-bin/getdescription.cgi?sid=0000000046&No=232&Id=843

--
Chas Becht