Re: hdd spindown + wifi question

Jon, 2003-Mar-28 10:49 -0900:
> Hello,
>
> I have two quick questions..
>
> 1> I'm running noflushd to spin down the harddrive, which works, but
> this cron job is making it spin back up every 10 minutes or so:
>
> Mar 28 10:38:01 desiree /USR/SBIN/CRON[441]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
> /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)
>
> Do I need this cron job, at all?  exim is only used for 'sending' mail,
> I use fetchmail to get the mail.  Also, I have 3 different connects that
> this laptop sees, a dsl connect (thru firewall/ethernet), a dialup
> connect, and soon a wireless connect, is there another way I can run the
> exim -q (not in cron)?

Yeah, you need this.  This checks the queue to see if any mail needs
to be sent.  What I did was change the frequency with which this
process occurs.  Go into /etc/cron.d and edit "exim".  I have it
executing every hour which works good for me.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User