Re: Re-partitioning failing...

Eric D Nielsen wrote:

> I recently bought a vprMatrix laptop and am trying to setup a dual boot
> winXP/Debian configuration.
>
> I'm used to using fips to repartition windows drives non-destructively, however
> it can't handle the NTFS partition.  So I tried PowerQuests's Partition Magic
> to resize the existing partition to make room for Debian.
>
> Running PM8 under WinXP I resized the 30 GB drive to about 8 GB for WinXP and
> 22 for Debian.  It says it needs to reboot to make the changes.  I let it
> reboot.  I see some message from PM come up during the boot up, screen flashes
> a few times and windows boots back up.  I run PM8 to check the current state of
> the partitions and there is no change.
>
> I tried running PM8 off the bootable CD in dos mode, make the same desired
> partition table and hit apply,
> I receive an "Volume bitmap wrong size file 6 (128)" error message.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice?
> Eric

No advice on PM. If it continues to give you trouble, you could try
Bootit NG which can resize NTFS.

The program can be installed to the hard drive, but if you just want to
use it for the resize operation......download the zip, make the bootable
floppy disk, boot from it, cancel Setup, and then go into the Partition
Work screen where the resize function is available.

http://www.bootitng.com

Tom