Why is X-config not so easy as Knoppix ?

Salve,

sorry to write you about my X-config problems. I'm unhappy
to have no idea how and where to find informations to solve
the problem myself.

And I must say as Debian-newbe that I like Woody, but to run
X-Server on my Laptop I have no clue.
To search for x86freeconfig-file in the internet is not the
smart solution.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 4000 with a ATI Mobility 3 card and
my Woody instalation dosn't start X.
When X-Server should start (GDM) the skript stopped with
"Error: No screens found"

Then starts a tool using 1028x768 X resulution with Keymouse.
Nice tool but for configuration basics would be non mouse/grafic
tool more usable.
I tried several combinations - but no succsess.
Does the general installation support LCDs?

Does Woody has an other non grafical tool to install X86free?
or have Woody a DB of x86free config files for Laptops

And finaly, why isn't it so easy like with Knoppix?

If someone could help me would be fine, but I think this point
of the installation is not perfect - or have I done a big mistake?

Thanks in advands,
rob