Re: toshiba 490XCDT

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 05:26:41PM +0100, James Tappin wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:22:46 +0200
> Benoit Mortier <benoit.mortier@opensides.be> wrote:
>
> BM> Hello,
> BM>
> BM> Helping a friend to install debian woody on is toshiba 490XCDT but
> BM> no luck using xfree 4.1 and s3virge and s3virge/mx complete lockup.
> BM>
> BM> does somebody know something about this ??
>
> Try the 3.3.6 driver (xf86-svga IIRC). This is the only thing I could
> make work for the Tecra 780 which has an s3virge/mx. This was also the
> case with SuSE 7.3. Basically the XF86 4.x drivers for the s3virge
> series seems to have serious problems for the portable versions.

Yes, I use the vesa driver under XFree86 v4 (seems fast enough).

> The other thing I've been meaning to try is to give the refresh rates a
> list of fixed frequencies as drawn from the manual rather than the range
> from min to max as deduced from the allowed modes list in the manual.

I use whatever the standard config tools come up with, I've never tweaked
the frequencies specifically.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A