kernel 2.4.19 and inspiron 2600

Unfortunately I have got a Inspiron 2600 Dell laptop. It has a i830 Intel VGA
card with shared memory so i have to use kernel-image 2.4.19 that supports
it. Firstly i compiled it from a fresh source that I have got from kernel.org
it didn't work complaining that she couldn't mount the root ?!
After that I installed kernel-2.4.19-386 from testing distrib by apt-get. Now
it can boot the system, but it complaining that the root filesystem is
readonly so it can't write the log file and such a things, and worst tat that
it couldn't run modprobe, so I missed every module on it. I think the problem
is with initrd.img.
Can anybody help me please to librate my  laptop ?
Thanks a lot Arash