Re: more RAM, swap?

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Yves Rutschle wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:24:54PM -0700, Petro wrote:
>
> [Swap]
>>     Actually, as cheap as disk is these days, I'd leave it alone for
>>     the following reasons:
>>
>>     (1) It's cheap insurance against a runaway process.
>
> How so? If your process is running away, it'll fill your
> swap, be it 16Mb or 1024Gb... You'd actually be better off
> with a smaller swap so the process gets killed earlier on...
> or am I missing something?

If I hit the wrong site, Mozilla walks through every TTF on my system
and use around 700MB of memory, plus pushing X to use another 100MB or
so.

For me, 1GB of swap is actually worth it because it saved me the first
time this happened... Not everything keeps growing without bounds.

     Daniel

--
Want to break the shell and cut the puppet strings
with our primal screams that echoes back inside.