Re: more RAM, swap?

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 15:11, Luis Castillo wrote:

> Hi,
> my laptop runs debian woody,kernel 2418,128 MbRAM,256Mb swap and I would
> like to upgrade to 256 MbRAM, so I should resize a swap to 512 Mb or not ?
> If so, how I resize a swap without reinstall debian?

IMO if you increase your RAM without a severe change in the way you use
the system but only to make things a bit faster you would probably
better reduce the size of swap and use the diskspace for something
better!

My laptop runs on 192 MB RAM and only 35 MB Swap so that it can get rid
of of some things hardly used and fre that memory.

my desktop has 512 MB RAM and 300 MB Swap whixh is far too much as i´ve
never seen the system use more than 100 MB of the swapspace.

think of that way: opening huge mailhandler (evolution) aprox 10MB
+ a few instances of mozilla aprox 15 MB
+ openoffice aprox 30 MB
plus some development tools and other stuff maybe another 30 MB

and most of that will be kept in RAM anyway.

different things obvously apply when teh machine runs as a Server.

And one more thing that gets forgotte is that on the fast machines
nowadays theres hardly a difference in the time needed to start a
program and the time needed to get it back from swap. so why not close
it if not needed?

thats different on my 486SX Laptop ;)

greets Benny