Re: [OT] : A new Laptop

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 07:15, Joris wrote:
> > > CPU    : AMD or Crusoe ?
>
> Amd for everything else, crusoe for an ultraexpensive typewriter.
> Oh, and an AMD also qualifies for personal portable heater.

Actually I don't think that it's an issue to make a choice on.  Each laptop
manufacturer has a deal with a CPU company, so when you choose the type of
laptop on various factors such as price, mouse device, screen, etc.

> > > Mem    : 258 Mo or more
>
> You'll never regret more ram. Play it up in price-negotiations, if any...
> Otherwise, just add more ram 'till your budget is all finished.

256M seems about the minimum on sale now for new models.  If you can afford
something good then you'll probably get at least that.

> > > Screen : 14 inch or more
>
> 14 inch. Unless you've got money to blow, 14 inch offers a nice workable
> area (should be able to do 1024*768), doesn't weight too much, and doesn't
> suck power like hell.

1400x1050 type resolution is what you should be aiming for in a high-end
system.

Do they even manufacture anything less than 800x600 now?

> Try to see the actual unit before you purchase it, make it's screen totally
> blank, and wander with your eyes arround it for a few minutes. If you spot
> dead pixels, go for another one.

Good idea for store purchases.  However the best prices are obtained by
purchasing without seeing (ebay or mail-order).  For my use I take the chance
and buy unseen...

> > > One Lan adaptator
>
> GET IT! and get it onboard!
> It saves pcmcia slots, goes screaming fast, and is usually supported
> without hassle for all OS's (before debian 3.0, I saved my butt with an
> onboard one - don't ask)
> It's just too good value to leave it.

Also pcmcia cards tend to break easily, and when you insert and remove them
often the slots on your laptop can wear out.