Re: [OT] : A new Laptop

On Friday 06 September 2002 03:38 am, Thierry Leurent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want buy a new laptop but What's the better solution ?
>
> CPU    : AMD or Crusoe ?
> Mem    : 258 Mo or more

256MB or better is always good.  Apps aren't getting any smaller!

> HD     : 15 Go or more
> Screen : 14 inch or more
> DVD
> One Lan adaptator
> Graphic : Radeon or ????
>
> I would like use all features as multimedia keyboard, .....
>
> Thanks
> Thierry

This is such a subjective question Thierry!

first what is the goal:
	-maximum battery life away from grid power?
	-maximum stuff in a portable unit?
	-fastest laptop on the block?

I have seen some posts here recently about portables that have so much stuff
added to them, I begin to wonder why a laptop was purchased instead of a full
sized desktop.  Then again, to each their own!

I was going to buy a new unit, but they are running so fast that it sounded
like an hour would be about all I could get out of a battery.  It was just
happenstance that I found this used 850MHz, and better yet, it was less than
half of what the cheapest laptop at Costco was.  So, I win, I win.

The new chips from Crusoe are supposed to address power issues, but I don't
know anyone locally who has one.  I have also read several articles about
AMD's chips being very good for laptops.

My advice: look around for a used laptop :)

Best of luck on your research.
tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!