Re: [OT] : A new Laptop

Thierry Leurent, 2002-Sep-06 12:38 +0200:
> Hello,
>
> I want buy a new laptop but What's the better solution ?
>
> CPU    : AMD or Crusoe ?

AMD

> Mem    : 258 Mo or more

Minimum 256MB, more if you plan to use things like VMware.

> HD     : 15 Go or more

Minimum 20GB, more if you plan to carry a lot of music, video or other
large sized stuff.

> Screen : 14 inch or more

The 14 inch displays are fine for most work, but if you plan to do
much in the way of Graphics Design, X-based games, etc...visually
detailed stuff the 15 inch makes a big difference.  The systems with
15.7 and 16 inch displays are tanks (very heavy), but those display's
are way cool!

> DVD

Most new systems can come with a DVD/CD-RW combo unit which is
awesome, and not too much of an additional costs.  But, if you don't
plan on watching DVD video's, there's no sense in the expense.  Just
get the CD-RW drive.

> One Lan adaptator

If you won't use it much and can save a few bucks on a system that
doesn't have it integrated, that's a good option.  You can add a
PCMCIA NIC easily.  But, if you're on LAN's much, the integrated NIC
free's up the PCMCIA slot(s) for use with other stuff.

> Graphic : Radeon or ????

If you plan to use/install woody and stay true to that release, check
the XFree86 4.1 supported cards and stick to those.

> I would like use all features as multimedia keyboard, .....

Huh?

> Thanks
> Thierry

No problem...keep in mind that these responses are purely based on
opinion.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer