Re: Media Bay

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Hubert Chan wrote:

>Jerome> is a Dell Inspiron 7000k: the media bay allows to swap the CDROM
>I have an IBM ThinkPad, which has a similar mechanism (they call it
>UltraBay).  I can swap the drive when it's suspended, then run the
>/usr/local/bin).  For me, I do "idectl 1 rescan".

I've Acer Travelmate 332T, which also has a hot-pluggable CD-ROM+floppy
drive, to save weight when not needed. With that same idectl command,
hot-swapping works in Linux (2.2.21) even when running.

However, there are some problems. Sometimes the computer starts hanging
periodically for a few seconds each few minutes or so. My log is written:

Jun 14 01:03:45 acerzone kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
Jun 14 01:03:45 acerzone kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
Jun 14 01:04:15 acerzone kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset timed-out, status=0xff
Jun 14 01:04:46 acerzone kernel: ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xff

This happens (it appears) after I have removed the CD-ROM drive and is very
irritating. Of course hdc doesn't respond, because I just put it on shelf!