Re: USB mouse and X-Windows 4.2.0

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:04:13PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Hi all (again today),
>
> [Please CC me in replies, I am currently not subscribed to this list.]
>
> The last problem which I am struggling with is my optical USB mouse. As
> mentioned on the webpage, it does not get re-initialized correctly after
> resuming from suspend. I have to remove it, plug it in and restart the
> X-Server; and sometimes even that does not solve the problem - on one or
> two occasions I had to reboot the system to get it working again (don't
> ask me why.....).

Sounds *bad*. Time to look at your logs

> So can I tell the X-Server to re-initialize the mouse ? This input
> device is set up so that it does not prevent the X-Server from starting
> when not present.

I have a logitech mouseman which also needs initialisation after a
suspend.

As far as I can see, the X server (xfree86 4.1.0) will re-initialise the
input devices when switching to the virtual terminal it runs on. So in
my case, just switching to vt6 and then back to vt7 does the trick!
Might work for you to (barring any USB-specific stuff).

(I tried automating this by adding a script to do 'chvt 6; sleep 5;
chvt7' to /etc/apm/event.d/, but my X server disagreed and would
sometimes hang. Never mind. Easy to do manually)

> Another, probably related problem is that I can not plug in the USB
> mouse during run-time. The X-Server has to be restarted to recognize
> it.

Definitely sounds like some usb-specific thing. Hopefully somebody else
with USB mice can help you here.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com