Re: Toshiba 2805-S302 Woody

On Jun 15, 2002 at 08:09 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Any tips for a Toshiba 2805-S302 laptop?  I'll be doing a network install.

[...]
> The other pain I remember was getting X's fonts to look reasonably OK.  I
> remember installing true type fonts.  I installed font servers, too, which
> I'm sure I didn't need to do.  Is there a less painful path to get good
> looking fonts?

I'm a Debian newbie, which means I just did a network install to a
laptop.  It went fairly smoothly (in hindsight) -- made boot floppies,
copied the base setup files to a different HD partition, booted,
answered the questions.  Unfortunately I mistakenly started with
dselect instead of tasksel, which was too much info for me as a
newbie, but otherwise it was no big problem.

The TrueType fonts were really easy -- there's a ready-made package
that when installed, downloads MS's web fonts and installs them
automatically.  Getting the X server to use the fonts is pretty easy
with XFree86 4.*, since TrueType support is built-in -- you just add
the TrueType directory to the list of font dirs in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  With XFree86 3.* you have to choose a font
server and set it up etc.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com