Re: Sony Vaio PCG-FX215 and modem

Dominik Juszczyk schrieb am Mittwoch 05.06.02, 15:29:45 (+0200):

Hello Dominik!

> I'm wonder if modem installed in my laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-FX215) is

If I'm not mistaken, the FX215 is the same as the FX301 in Europe
(Germany at least; Poland not as it seems).  This is the on I own
myself.

For general information about Sony Vaios take a look on
http://myplc.com/sony/, and for notes on Linux
http://www.gaugusch.at/vaio/.

> linmodem...

To be exact, it is a Conexant HSF Softmodem (AC97 based).

> And if it is how to configure/install it?

Just some days ago Marc Boucher made a new version of his HSF driver
available, which includes support for the HSF modem on Via AC97
controllers.  I didnt't have time to check it out, but at least it
built on my machine.

Check out http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/.

> I have never worked with modem under linux, and I have no idea what to do...

You could try the above mentioned driver.

Additionally, you definitely need the ppp and pppconfig packages.
pppconfig helps you with setting up the PPP connection to your
internet provider.  I think it will not auto-detect your modem, as the
driver provides different device names (e.g. ttySHSF0) than standard
serial modems (e.g. ttyS0).  When installing the driver, a symlink to
/dev/modem is also created, which you could give pppconfig as your
modem device.

This is all a bit ``hanging in the air'' as I didn't try it myself --
lack of time.  But the next days I'll have more time and -- more
important -- will need a working connection via modem, too.  So if
you're still in trouble a few days from now, feel free to contact me
again.

Hope that helps,
FJ

--